Fairfax Open Circle Arts and Sports Winter/Spring Guide 2013
January 9, 2013Posted by pamela |
Marin Mommies presents a guest article by Anne Mannes, FOCAS Program Director in Fairfax. She highlights some of the classes and events happening through FOCAS this winter and spring.
We hope you all had a wonderful holiday season! We are looking forward to a great 2013 and encouraging all of you to take advantage of the fun and affordable classes happening via FOCAS.
For the winter and spring sessions we have a little of everything for every age, including our new offerings such as Zumbatomic/Zumba Gold, Yoga for Toddlers, drop-in basketball, ceramics for adults and more. Please be sure to check out our website www.fairfaxfocas.com for our full schedule and/or pick up a copy at Town Hall. Below is a sneak preview of the highlights:
- Fairfax Moms: In the interest of building a fully supported and sustainable network of Fairfax families with little ones 0–6 years old, we have started Fairfax Moms. It is offered in affiliation with FOCAS and the Town of Fairfax. Membership dues are $30 per year or $50 for two years. Membership dues will enable us to offer the speakers and programs that parents/caregivers want. It will also streamline the process of adding new members and welcoming new folks to town, helping them get plugged in right away. To join and/or learn more about the benefits of this group, please go to the website www.fairfaxmoms.net/ BigTent offers simple profiles, subgroups, a classified section and a calendar. The New Parents Group is part of the Fairfax Moms meeting on Tuesdays from 11 am–12:30 pm at the Community Center. We hope to see you soon!
- Community Music Class, for 0–4 years old offered ongoing on Mondays at 10–10:45 am at the Women’s Club: Come join us for 45 minutes of music and play, including rhythmic rhymes, songs and instrument play. During this lively session, young ones learn traditional folk songs and hands on music and circle games. The class is informal, non-performance-oriented and developmentally appropriate for children and parents/caregivers. Music selection will primarily be based on requests, so be ready to sing your favorites, and learn a few more! $12 drop in or $50 for class card. *No prior musical experience necessary.
- Pavilion Playgroup each Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 9:30 am–12:30 pm: Pavilion Playgroup happens December through April each year—indoor playtime during the soggy season! Join other moms, dads and kids at the charming red building on the hill. Children/infant to 5 years enjoy playing with toys, riding scooters and climbing on a variety of soft blocks and mats. Parents enjoy mingling, playing and drinking fresh coffee and tea. $6 drop in per child/per class or $50 for a 10 class card. *Babies under 8 months are free. Fairfax Pavilion, 142 Bolinas Road (actually on Elsie Lane; if you are looking for directions online type in "Elsie Lane, Fairfax, CA" and it will get you closer than the Bolinas Road address) on the hill behind Town Hall near the Ball Field.
- Spanish Playtime for Toddlers on Thursdays 4–4:45 pm at Community Center (February 7–March 28): Come sing songs, listen to music, engage in creative movement and read books together—all in Spanish! Our Spanish Playgroup is for 2–4 year olds. Come to meet other families speaking Spanish at home or to expose your child to a second language. No Spanish experience required but we do ask that adults in attendance who speak any Spanish do so for the duration of the playgroup. $10 drop in or $70 for 8 week session.
- Spanish Art for school aged youth on Wednesdays at Community Center (February 6–March 27): Spanish Art is an arts and crafts class for kids age 4 - 9 years taught in Spanish. We engage in fun, creative, hands-on cultural projects from drawing cartoons to making puppets. We explore the vocabulary of “art” such as self-portrait, accumulation, mosaic, printing, and more. Our structured activities will benefit young Spanish-speakers who want a chance to play in Spanish with other kids. Beginners are also welcome but please keep in mind that all activities are directed in Spanish. $130 for 8 week session (includes all materials and supplies).
- Youth Theatre classes through Fairfax Theater Company for 7–14 year olds (8 week sessions, February 1–March 22): Come learn all about theatre this season with the Fairfax Theater Company. Emerging thespians will learn from the experts how to write, produce and direct a play. Sessions include lessons in acting, singing, dancing, mime and improv. Throughout the 8 week sessions students will make costumes, props, paint backdrops, learn about lighting and sound, special effects, and much more. Guest instructors will also add their experience and expertise to the program. $120 for 8 week session.
- Drop-in Basketball for Women on Tuesdays and Drop-in Basketball for Teens on Fridays: Please check website for full details.
- Family Clothing, Toy and Equipment Swap on March 9 from 11 am–3 pm: If you are wading through an ocean of toys and clothes at your house and desiring to spark your children’s interest in something new or different, and/or desiring to get rid of some of your own old adult threads and trade them in for some new, then this day is for you. Get a head start on spring-cleaning, let your children play at the pavilion and mingle with your friends. Instructions and Rules: Please note that this is not a get rid of your JUNK event. Toys, equipment and clothes must be in working/wearing condition. Participants should bring their own bags/boxes for distributing and gathering toys and clothes. Each participant will have a table or stage space to display items. FOCAS will arrange a charity drop off for those items not exchanged. Coffee and refreshments will be provided. To learn more about this event, please email email@example.com.
Fairfax Open Circle Arts and Sports (FOCAS) is a program brought to you through the Town of Fairfax. We are located in the heart of Fairfax at 142 Bolinas Road at the Pavilion. Our Winter Spring field guide is available at Town Hall and local businesses. To learn more about our offerings, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, visit us online www.fairfaxfocas.com and stay connected: LIKE US on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pages/Fairfax-Focas/153719454657151.
To support our work and make donations to FOCAS, please send checks made out to Town of Fairfax. Attn: FOCAS, 142 Bolinas Road, Fairfax, CA 94930.